Where Rural and Urban Overlap

The American urban agriculture movement of the last few years is fueled by some basic principles which include land conservation, mass urbanization, supply chain management, and the impact of the Great Recession.  More and more urban dwellers are choosing to treat the vacant land or rooftops as a surface suitable for farming.  This can range from the individual who likes to have fresh herbs on hand for cooking to the full scale vegan family that believes in 100% organic, 100% homegrown.

I think this movement is catching on for two reasons appealing to two disparate groups.  The first believes in the doomsday scenario of the exponential effects of population growth, greenhouse gas emissions, and globalization that will render urban agriculture a necessity.  The other group is comprised of both YUPy types and lower income families who can generate savings in both transportation and production of their own vegetables.

Rochester too has jumped on the bandwagon with the development of the CROPS program.  The CROPS concept is to incorporate community gardens into the fabric of Rochester's neighborhoods, with community tools and water available for use by the gardeners. The gardens aspire to be walkable to a significant number of households. Through the oversight of residents from the neighborhoods of Kutzky Park, Slatterly Park, Eastside Pioneers and Cimarron Neighborhoods this year, a group of volunteers have emerged that will manage the care and administration of the gardens, and take the effort to the next level, which could be urban agriculture at a larger scale.

Other programs such as Edible Schoolyard seek to bring children and education together to foster appreciation of farm activities, but also to find cheaper and more efficient alternatives for providing school lunches.  All of these endeavors are an attempt to create widespread adoption of urban agriculture and develop broad synergy between rural and urban environments.

Probably the most compelling imagery of this movement is in New York.  I ran across these two videos that deal with urban agriculture in Gotham; one from an analytical perspective of the food demand, and the other with practical and useful evidence.  I think this proves that it isn't just designer-speak or tree-hugger dreams, but an actual movement that has the potential to transform our city and farm relationships.  I know that there have to be downsides, nothing is perfect, but for my money this appears to be a true win-win.

Also check out this link from the GOOD blog on a business venture that also capitalizes on the urban agriculture trend:

http://www.good.is/post/new-company-brings-produce-from-the-roof-to-the-supermarket-aisle/